Retail innovation is poised for celebration with the Canadian Retail Innovation Challenge. This just-announced national contest—the product of four of Canada’s most high-flying retail players—launches the hunt for the country’s cleverest retail and technology entrepreneurs.
In February, Dx3 Canada, in conjunction with retail real estate magnate Oxford Properties Group, industry futurist Retail Prophet and the Retail Council of Canada, will crown six of Canada’s brightest retail start-ups.
There are two categories in the competition, enacted in an effort to develop and grow Canada’s start-up community: retail merchants, including new retail concepts; and retail technology, including innovative tech aimed at changing the shopping experience.
Applicants, who can operate anywhere in Canada, must:
- be a for-profit business in retail or retail technology;
- have a proprietary product or service that’s undergoing market testing and can be brought to market in the first six months of 2017;
- be in the early stages of business development as a start-up company or an existing small business;
- have identified a market for their technology, service or retail product, and have activated a business plan well into test mode;
- have a management team in place that can demonstrate an ability to handle both the technical and managerial aspects of their business.
Prizes for the chosen are pretty sweet. A winner from each category will score the opportunity to set up shop inside of Yorkdale Shopping Centre or any other premium spot from within Oxford Properties’ mall stable.
More than that, all six winners will have the opportunity to pitch to the RCC’s board of directors, get coverage in Canadian Retailer, participate in the Store 2017 conference, and get an exhibitor’s berth at DX3 2017, Canada’s prominent digital marketing, advertising and retail event.
All of the finalists get press coverage and live-streamed interviews from the DX3 event.
The application process is open from December 21, 2016 until January 27, 2017 and the selected participants will be notified during the first week of February 2017. To apply online, visit Dx3 Canada Canadian Innovation in Retail Challenge.
The finals will take place during the DX3 conference on March 9, 2017, in front of a live audience.